PENANG FOOD GUIDE: What to Eat in Penang

what to eat in Penang
This is us at Kek Lok Si Temple. Nope you can't see the temple. Heh.

I just came back from Penang after spending three days there with two of my classmates hunting for food. It's my second time travelling with friends but first time travelling in Malaysia with friends. Woohoo! Although I've been to Penang a couple of times before, this is so far the best.
All we did was hunting for food around Butterworth and Georgetown but that was enough to keep us occupied and I really loved what we hunted down!

When I visited with my parents, we've always had trouble looking for the best food in Penang. But not anymore! So I thought I'd share with you guys here some of the best food we found this time that you don't want to miss!

Here's your ultimate Penang food guide, take a look at all the food to try in Penang to find out what to eat in Penang!

JU HENG - TOM YAM MEE
This only starts selling from 6pm but it operates until 3am. From the people crowding around the shop, you know your taste buds are in for a treat. If you are not a spicy food eater like me, fret not. You can still enjoy it because if I can take a whole bowl of Tom Yam Mee without stopping for water, anyone can too! Otherwise, you could also order the clear soup version. After enjoying a hot bowl of Tom Yam Mee you can buy Curry Pao at a truck nearby for breakfast the next day. 

what to eat in Penang
p.s. It's best with Maggi Mee!

LORONG SELAMAT - CHAR KUAY TEOW
You will see two stalls not far apart from each other selling the same thing. The one I went to is operated by an old aunty. According to the local, the old aunty cooks it better than the other. ;)

what to eat in Penang
Look at how huge the prawn is! The left one looks "whiter" because it is fried without chilli whereas the "redder" one on the right is with chilli, which I think is much tastier!

CHAI LENG PARK - LOK LOK
Penang lok lok! Don't know what this is? Basically it is a variant of steamboat where you choose from a wide choices of skewered food and dip into a hot boiling pot of water to be cooked. You would want to look for the second shop after turning onto the road for the best Penang lok lok!

SWEE KONG - MIN CHIANG KUEH (慢煎糕)

LEBUH KENG KWEE - CENDOL
Make sure you go to the right one in the alley. It is sold by a Chinese man at a little stall (not a shop) with some ladies helping him. You will usually find a long queue there especially during school holidays.

AYER ITAM (NEAR KEK LOK SI TEMPLE) - ASAM LAKSA

AH KHOON LOR MEE
Its name tells you what to look for ;) *hint: the last two words*

what to eat in Penang
Lor Mee from Ah Khoon Lor Mee

So here's my Penang Food Guide! You can now waste less time (or better yet, waste none at all) deciding what to eat in Penang and spend the time enjoying all the food I just introduced to you. Have fun! 

If you think there's any food I should try, tell me in the comment section below! Remember, sharing is caring. :)

Thank you for reading, see you in the next post!

No comments

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to read this post and for leaving a comment too! You have just made my day! <3
Make sure to check back as all comments are read and replied to with much appreciation. :D